[infinispan-dev] a nice HTML5 console for Infinispan & a question on MBean names...

James Strachan james.strachan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 09:50:08 EDT 2013

On 27 March 2013 13:21, Tristan Tarrant <ttarrant at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/22/2013 12:47 PM, James Strachan wrote:
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> BTW does this exception ring any bells:
>> ERROR | qtp581815510-700 | ISPN019003: Interpreter error
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>> at org.infinispan.cli.interpreter.Interpreter.execute(Interpreter.java:161)
>> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
>> at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
>> at org.infinispan.jmx.ResourceDMBean.invoke(ResourceDMBean.java:287)
>> at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:819)
>> at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:791)
> That looks like a parser error has resulted in a null statement being
> added. Odd it should have caused a parser error. Can you give me an
> example of statement you issued ?

Everything I try I get the same response. e.g.  any of these...

get
get 'a'
get 5
get key
get key 5

I tried anything I could find on this page:
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/InfinispanCLI

On the hawtio server I emailed you off-list - can you enter any CLi
statements without getting the NPE?

It'd be nice to get a nicer parser exception message than an NPE BTW
:). "Incorrect character at 8,1, expected 'x'" or something would
help; then we could highlight the dodgy bit of the CLI command in the
UI

>> Incidentally do the session IDs timeout after a while? Seems like I
>> saw that once or twice (though could be a hawtio bug :). If so I'm
>> wondering if it might be easier to have a new method
>> executeWithTemporarySessionId(cacheName, sql) or something like that
>> so we don't have to keep track of when a session ID is stale or have
>> to do 2 operations when we don't mind about the session ID (i.e. use
>> one session ID per operation)?.
> Yes, sessions timeout. There is a "Ping" command you can issue which
> "refreshes" a session. As for allowing a temporary session, you would
> lose some of the state information, so I'm not really sure about that.

What state is there between commands? If the commands are basically a
"get" or a "put" and they execute immediately on the cache; there's
not much state to lose right?

Am just thinking of the complexity of having to keep pinging to keep a
session ID open that may still time out (since the UI can't be sure
its in the same keep-alive cycle as the server).

>From hawtio am not aware of any state we need to keep across commands
yet (though I'm an infinispan newbie).

--
James