[infinispan-dev] Remote Listeners WAS: Question regarding Hotrod

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu Sep 5 03:43:25 EDT 2013

On Aug 29, 2013, at 7:09 PM, Mircea Markus <mmarkus at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 28 Aug 2013, at 11:51, Manik Surtani <msurtani at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Adding infinispan-dev - please use the mail list for such discussions in future.
>>
>> I'll let Mircea and Galder comment some more re: timeframes for remote listeners, but I don't think this has been scheduled for a specific release as yet.
>
> There is a high chance for this to make it in ISPN 6.1 / spring 2014. I'll update the roadmap in the coming week.
> Would be good to have the list of ISPN feature you need ordered by priority.
>
>> As always, if you're willing to help implement this feature, I'm sure Galder will be able to guide you through his design ideas and help you with code review, etc.

I did a prototype a long time ago, but this is a bit more complex than you think, particularly when you start thinking about the guarantees of these callbacks: i.e. do you need acknoweldgement from client, what happens for those callbacks that did not reach the client…etc.

By far one of the best papers I've found on this topic is Google's Thialfi: "A Client Notification Service for Internet-Scale Applications" [1]. Their problem matches very closely our requirements for remote cache listeners, and has some interesting ideas on how to handle failures.

A design document of that can be found.

[1] http://research.google.com/pubs/pub37474.html
[2] https://community.jboss.org/wiki/DesignOfRemoteEventHandlingInHotRod