[infinispan-dev] Frequent releases?

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Thu Jan 30 09:47:03 EST 2014

On Jan 29, 2014, at 12:05 AM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at infinispan.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
> can I hope for a release to happen soon?
>
> I am needing releases to happen more frequently, or the various
> cross-project integrations can't evolve.

+1. We have quite some pending things to integrate. I'll update the release schedule for 7.0 and suggest an 1-2 weeks interval for releasing alphas and betas.

> During the 6.0 iteration nothing happened for months, then we went
> crazy fast

It so not so! :-)
Looking at the dates it wasn't like that at all: first 6.0 alpha was released 3 weeks after 5.3.0.Final, then followed by 1~2weeks releases in between. If anything I think the 6.0.0 release was pretty well balanced.

6.0.0.Final  18/Nov/13
6.0.0.CR1    04/Oct/13
6.0.0.Beta2  27/Sep/13
6.0.0.Beta1  19/Sep/13
6.0.0.Alpha4 06/Sep/13
6.0.0.Alpha3 21/Aug/13
6.0.0.Alpha2 02/Aug/13
6.0.0.Alpha1 17/Jul/13
5.3.0.Final  25/Jun/13

> and the time margin was too short for me to perform various
> improvements before getting at CR phases (which I consider too late):

The CR was released 4 months after 6.0 the development began.

> ideally I'd like to see timeboxed releases, following a reliable
> pattern: like every two weeks would be awesome.

+1 and that's what we actually did during 6.0 (except the CR1-Final gap, when we were struggling with the performance problems).