[infinispan-dev] Issue with JGroups config files in ispn-core

Martin Gencur mgencur at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 08:30:34 EDT 2014

Hi,
let me mention an issue that several people faced in the past,
independently of each other:

A user app uses a custom JGroups configuration file. However, they
choose the same name as the files which we bundle inside
infinispan-core.jar.
Result? People are wondering why their custom configuration does not
take effect.
Reason? Infinispan uses the default jgroups file bundled in infinispan-core
Who faced the issue? (I suppose it's just a small subset:)) Me, Radim,
Alan, Wolf Fink

I believe a lot of users run into this issue.

We were considering a possible solution and this one seems like it could
work (use both 1) and 2)):
1) rename the config files in the distribution e.g. this way:
jgroups-ec2.xml -> default-jgroups-ec2.xml
jgroups-udp.xml -> default-jgroups-udp.xml
jgroups-tcp.xml -> default-jgroups-tcp.xml

Any other suggestions? internal-jgroups-udp.xml ?
dontEverUseThisFileInYourAppAsTheCustomConfigurationFile-jgroups-udp.xml
? (joke)
(simply something that users would automatically like to change once
they use it in their app)

2) Throw a warning whenever a user wants to use a custom jgroups
configuration file that has the same name as one of the above

WDYT?

Thanks!
Martin