[infinispan-dev] Analysis of infinispan-6.0.2 dependency on JDK-Internal APIs

Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland rory.odonnell at oracle.com
Wed Sep 24 03:55:45 EDT 2014

Hi Galder,

As part of the preparations for JDK 9, Oracle’s engineers have been
analyzing open source projects like yours to understand usage. One area
of concern involves identifying compatibility problems, such as reliance
on JDK-internal APIs.

Our engineers have already prepared guidance on migrating some of the
more common usage patterns of JDK-internal APIs to supported public
interfaces. The list is on the OpenJDK wiki [0], along with instructions
on how to run the jdeps analysis tool yourself .

As part of the ongoing development of JDK 9, I would like to encourage
migration from JDK-internal APIs towards the supported Java APIs. I have
prepared a report for your project rele ase infinispan-6.0.2 based on
the jdeps output.

The report is attached to this e-mail.

For anything where your migration path is unclear, I would appreciate
comments on the JDK-internal API usage patterns in the attached jdeps
report - in particular comments elaborating on the rationale for them -
either to me or on this mailing list.

Finding suitable replacements for unsupported interfaces is not always
straightforward, which is why I am reaching out to you early in the JDK
9 development cycle so you can give feedback about new APIs that may be
needed to facilitate this exercise.

Thank you in advance for any efforts and feedback helping us make JDK 9
better.

Rgds,Rory

[0]
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/JDK8/Java+Dependency+Analysis+Tool