[infinispan-dev] Singleton Cache Stores with Shared Cache Stores

William Burns mudokonman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 09:54:13 EDT 2016

Recently there was a start of a discussion regarding singleton cache stores
and how they behave.  Interestingly according to our documentation [1] and
verification code [2] a singleton store cannot be used with a shared cache
store.  This makes no sense to me as this means you would have a single
point of failure for your data.  And also as Dan pointed out [3] there is
no Singleton cache loader to make sure all the loads are from the
coordinator either, which means you could have a read that returns null
despite it being in the store/loader.

And even looking at [4] it talks about singleton being used so not every
node writes to the underlying store, which implies it being shared.

I think we have enough proof to update this so a singleton store requires a
shared store, but I wanted to make sure we weren't missing something here.

Thanks,

 - Will

[1]
http://infinispan.org/docs/9.0.x/user_guide/user_guide.html#_configuration_2