[infinispan-dev] Hot Rod secured by default

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Thu Mar 30 09:29:18 EDT 2017

While the "unsecure" over loopback is quite tempting, I would prefer to
have homogeneous behaviour with the possibility to disable security
altogether for quick demos.
Otherwise a developer would need to code differently for the local use
case than for the remote one, causing more confusion.

Tristan

On 30/03/2017 14:54, Sebastian Laskawiec wrote:
> I agree the security out of the box is good. But at the same time we
> don't want to make Infinispan harder to use for new developers. Out of
> the box configuration should be "good enough" to start hacking.
>
> I would propose to make all the endpoints unprotected (with
> authentication disabled) on localhost/loopback and protected when
> calling from the outside world.
>
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 2:39 PM Tristan Tarrant <ttarrant at redhat.com
> <mailto:ttarrant at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     after a mini chat on IRC, I wanted to bring this to everybody's
>     attention.
>
>     We should make the Hot Rod endpoint require authentication in the
>     out-of-the-box configuration.
>     The proposal is to enable the PLAIN (or, preferably, DIGEST) SASL
>     mechanism against the ApplicationRealm and require users to run the
>     add-user script.
>     This would achieve two goals:
>     - secure out-of-the-box configuration, which is always a good idea
>     - access to the "protected" schema and script caches which is prevented
>     when not on loopback on non-authenticated endpoints.
>
>     Tristan
>     --
>     Tristan Tarrant
>     Infinispan Lead