[infinispan-dev] Cache migration (rolling upgrades, dump/restore, etc)

Gustavo Fernandes gustavo at infinispan.org
Mon May 22 03:35:44 EDT 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 7:45 AM, Vojtech Juranek <vjuranek at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On pátek 19. května 2017 13:05:00 CEST Gustavo Fernandes wrote:
> > After the latest changes, new entries written to the target cluster are
> > supposed to propagated back to the source [1].
>
> I thought that when the rolling upgrade is in progress, entries written to
> target cluster are not written to source cluster.

During a RU, there are two agents writing data to the target cluster: the
user and the RU process itself.

Since the remote store in the target cluster is not supposed to be used in
read-only mode anymore, all
data changes by the user in the target cluster during rolling upgrade are
propagate remotely to the source.

OTOH, data written by the Rolling Upgrader itself is not written back to
the source, since it is merely doing the migration.

If this is incorrect, what
> actually does L70 in DistCacheWriterInterceptor [1]?

This line basically says: if data is being written by the rolling upgrade
process itself, write it to the stores (excluding the remoteStore),
regardless if the command is conditional or not.