[jboss-as7-dev] Automatically generate AS7 module.xml files from maven poms?

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 10:07:14 EST 2010

It might be a reasonable thing to generate a descriptor from a pom as a
starting point. However, they are not really one-to-one, so the majority
case will require alterations. Various reasons include:

1. Maven doesn't really separate runtime deps from compile time deps
properly (only workable way is "provided", which is rarely used).
2. Our core modules (e.g. javax.*) are not represented in maven
3. Transitive deps in maven are usually wrong (only a "bom" approach
leads to "correct" deps)
4. While a slot could be an artifact version, that's not the best
approach (you want a slot to be a compatibility group, not a minor
version so that updates are easy)
5. Path filtering can't be represented.

Although, isn't your problem more of the AS dependencies being out of
sync with a pom's transitive dep? If so the same problem exists with the
maven BOM approach that we use. (AS redefines all deps using a BOM to
avoid broken/wrong deps)

On 12/17/10 6:23 AM, Kabir Khan wrote:
> I've been working on a maven plugin to create extra modules for tests, so what you describe would certainly be possible. The maven plugin/dependency api is pretty nice to work with. Once I've got my forked surefire plugin working, I can take a look if the general consensus is that we should go with something like this
> On 17 Dec 2010, at 12:47, David Bosschaert wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today I was looking at a module.xml somewhere down
>>
>> http://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/build/src/main/resources/modules
>> and found out that a problem I was facing was caused by a dependency in
>> there being out of sync with the dependencies of the pom that defines
>> the original module.
>>
>> So I was thinking, since there is a 1-1 mapping between the poms and
>> modules would it make sense to automatically generate the module.xml
>> files from the poms rather then having them in git. I realize that there
>> is extra information in some cases that needs to go into the module.xml
>> file but that information could be added to the pom in some form [1].
>> Otherwise this might become a bit of a maintenance nightmare IMHO...
>>
>> Or is this already happening somewhere in a way that I'm not aware of?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> David
>>
>> [1] The maven-bundle-plugin does something similar for OSGi bundles:
>> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html

Jason T. Greene