[jboss-as7-dev] Missing 404 for non-existent web app context?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 07:52:03 EDT 2011

Ignoring the apparent noninterest from Remy in providing some useful feedback to users (new or old) about the server running, then lets just look at consistent error handling:

I started the 4 browsers I have (firefox, safari, chrome and opera) and opened a few pages to illustrate the "userfriendyness" AS 7 currently have:

http://screencast.com/t/lAOQQmivaH3
Visiting localhost:8080
Shows up in 3 different ways - IE would probably make it a forth.

http://screencast.com/t/2Xe0cw4vG6
Visitng localhost:9990 (management root)
Gets 404 repsonse with content - at least looks the same in every browser.

http://screencast.com/t/592U5s2uwF
Visiting a page that does not exist within a default deployment:
Here there is html/text snippet and info about what server i'm running.

In all cases the user needs to not only digg through nonexistent documentation, he will also have
to actually read it and understand basic deployment first.

I bet you that many Java newbies have no idea about that and even when we look at production
operations they don't know and they would then know by chance that ...ah yes, 404 from AS 7 is expected.

So two things here:

At least put a http accessible welcome page *somewhere* and consider this a request to make
the error codes/handling consistent on both management, empty root and within a deployed context
if at all possible.

And if that welcome page is *not* localhost:8080 then print out that location in the console after the "AS 7 started up in xyz ms."

/max