[jboss-as7-dev] Reducing the time spent in fixing CNFE issues due to missing dependencies in module.xml

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu Feb 17 12:25:42 EST 2011

The deployment classpath will essentially be all EE API jars, all JBoss
proprietary API jars (e.g. infinispan, hibernate, etc) that make sense
for the deployment type, and all the deployments classes, plus anything
they directly import via either a jboss module import, an EE class-path
or extension, or an OSGi import. It will not include any of our
implementation jars. So the old server/lib notion is completely gone.

> Tooling will need to be able to get the relevant classpath for users;
> if someone could tell us how to read the information/definition without
> too many binary dependencies to AS7 this would be something we (JBoss Tools)
> would need to do anyway.
>
> Pointers welcome...(not saying I can do the base implementation but I can at least
> utilize/expose it to users deploying to the server ;)
>
> /max
>
> On Feb 17, 2011, at 15:39, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>
>> As an update to this topic, jboss-modules (not sure if its been released
>> yet) now logs all fatal errors in defineClass (source of NCDFE) at WARN
>> level. So it should be way easier to spot these issues.
>>
>> At some point I think we need a compile-time analysis tool (perhaps
>> tattletale) that can verify our module definitions for at least the
>> static components. We just need someone with the time to work on it.
>>
>> On 2/17/11 8:34 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> For reference, there was an earlier discussion around this general problem:
>>>
>>> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jboss-as7-dev/2010-December/000139.html

>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat