[jboss-as7-dev] how to access the management model?

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Wed Mar 23 13:16:58 EDT 2011

On 3/23/11 9:44 AM, André Dietisheim wrote:
> Hi Brian
>
> On 03/22/2011 09:46 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> On 3/22/11 1:15 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> I'll update that wiki today.
>> Done.
>
> awesome! thanks a lot. I did not have the time to study it in detail but
> I'll hopefully get the chance pretty soon.
>
>>> In the meantime (and probably better anyway) best is to look at some of
>>> the demos in the AS source tree's demos/ module. E.g.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/demos/src/main/java/org/jboss/as/demos/client/jms/runner/ExampleRunner.java
>>>

> yes, indeed, that helps, too. Pretty similar to what I found in the RHQ
> gwt client. Those 3 example will help a lot to figure out how to query
> and manipulate.
> I guess you had that discussion already, but please allow me to ask it
> once more: Any plans to expose the API in a RESTful manner? I guess this
> would help a lot since this would be a widely known scheme.

There is an HTTP interface that can take requests in either JSON or in
base64 encoded dmr binary format. We don't call it REST though because
"invoking" an arbitrary management operation (e.g. "clear auth cache")
does not meet the REST purity definition.

Keep in mind that the remote Java API will be the easiest to use from
Java, since it will handle all the transport stuff for you, and exposes
a nice API for working with detyped data. The main focus of the HTTP
interface is supporting non-Java clients (i.e. scripting languages, and
the console which is JavaScript based)

--
Jason T. Greene