[jboss-as7-dev] deployments directory usage with openshift

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed May 25 05:21:15 EDT 2011

> This works fine, it is just not as transparent an experience as working
> with a local directory. I'm not sure how much effort I want to put into
> trying to map the status deployment markers to the client side repo as
> I'm going to look at getting the http management interface multi-plexing
> on the 8080 port and exposed via a rest url associated with the
> application dns name, in this case it would be
> http://as7b4test-sstark.dev.rhcloud.com/management.

I'm curious - how much would that api allow ? if its fully exposed then deployments are doable via this.

btw. this reminds me that we also need to make sure tools (such as JBoss Tools) allow users to use a custom
URL for management operations - right now it just let you change the port, not the full url.

> So, the point of this post is to ask if it is worth adding a
> x.doundeploy marker to avoid having to remove the application content.
> I'm thinking no, but maybe there are other usecases that would wan this.

As Brian says it makes sense and it was actually suggested initially but was removed for simplicity at the time I believe.

Note, users can avoid all of this by using archives instead of deployed directories but then of course
git might starting to barf if the war gets "too big"; but if the apps are required to be small this is of course less of an issue.

Note, I was initially thinking of simply making the openshift directory the actual dir I use for development
locally on AS 7 but that does cause some problems since my local marker file would be "polluting" the remote
deployments.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen