[jboss-as7-dev] Testsuite modularization? // Re: Testsuite refactor

Ondřej Žižka ozizka at redhat.com
Tue Nov 22 18:34:21 EST 2011

> I guess I don't see what if anything in this pull we would want to keep
> if we went to a small module approach?
>
>   Maybe you could explain that?

Sure, any time. I assume you haven't been following the testsuite
discussions for a while, where people complain about this and that not
working, so I will try to sum up the issues with the current master's
testsuite.

1) This pull IS the small module approach. The only thing remaining is
to move the tests.
I think this single argument makes it a good candidate for merging.

2) You may consider it "livable for a while", but you'll leave it once
AS 7.1 is released. AS7 will get productized to EAP, and QA dept will
use the testsuite for a decade. "livable for a while" is not the
condition we may let it in.
3) Workdir moved. Running it in user.dir leaves files there.
4) Introduced properties which carry important directories to the tests.
5) Fixed tests which assumed running in testsuite/integration to use
those properties.
6) Other properties necessary for product testing are propagated to the
tests.
7) Tests grouping made possible. One of requirements was to run smoke
tests by default... well, this is described below.
8) pom.xml's are cleaned up a bit by removing unnecessary classpath
stuff which is needed in master's TS.
9) pom.xml's are cleaned up a bit by using maven's inheritance more.
10) Ant scripts use dir properties which makes them easier to maintain &
move around, and use from various modules without passing additional
arguments.
11) ./build.sh -DskipTests  works.
12) Multiple surefire executions when  -Dtest=... is set are supressed.
13) Created integration testsuite sub-modules and moved the executions
there.  <------- This part is the MORE SMALL MODULES btw.

Probably I missed some things.
Anyway, this is the base for EAP's testsuite, i.e. for fulfilling QA
dept's requirements. Current master's testsuite can't fullfill these
requirements. I see no point in delaying merging this since there are
not much possibilities how to satisfy those needs, this is the best I
can come up with.
Once more - it's half way to "more small modules".

Regards,
Ondra