[jboss-as7-dev] Changed arguments…can we do better ? :P

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 12:12:32 EST 2012

> Does the -Djava.awt.headless=true have any function besides maybe give a few milliseconds faster startup ?
> (asking since this prevents you to launch (for debugging purposes) hsqldb admin and other swing based "inspection" tools)

This was a patch submitted by a user awhile back. The reason is that if
an application uses any of the image libraries in AWT (it's pretty
common these days to use capthas for exmaple), the JVM will fail if
graphics libraries are not installed. Since we don't really have a need
to launch GUI elements at this point it makes sense to save these users
some heartache. As to a database admin thing, we ship H2 for sample
usage, and they don't use swing. They provide an admin war though, that
we show how to deploy in one of the quickstarts.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect