[jboss-as7-dev] birth of "console ui" in eclipse

ssilvert at redhat.com ssilvert at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 14:27:44 EST 2012

On 2/10/2012 2:09 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:

> IMO it's pretty lame to work on three different, redundant efforts:
>
> - the web UI
> - the CLI UI
> - the eclipse UI
All three of these have slightly different audiences, but they will
probably converge eventually.  I think it's too early to stifle
innovation and insist that there is one true way to leverage the DMR.

One thing I would like to try is to see if we can run the CLI GUI as an
applet behind the console's security.  That would instantly give us the
"expert mode" Jason was talking about.

> I can somehow understand the CLI UI, but i think the best approach for eclipse would be to embed the web UI. Maybe with a different layout. Something that fits better into the overall frame. But technically it should be possible to reuse the web UI.
>
> I keep hearing the term "like JMX console" over and over again. If  you think that power users require something more generic then the full blown web UI, why not build it within the console itself? And then use it embedded within eclipse?
>
> /Ike
>
> On Feb 10, 2012, at 7:54 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>
>> For now we just added the "raw" view but would like to either make this more "beginner user-friendly" or move it over to something like the full blown JMX console we got
>> for "older" AS's where you can do edit operations etc.
>>
>> but for now we just do this "baby" raw console as a read only operation and see where it takes us.
>>
>> /max

>>> It was certainly inspired by the CLI GUI, though I haven't had a chance to look at the code yet.  The UI piece is probably going to be specific to each (SWT on the Eclipse side, I assume Swing on the CLI side).  The model code could be shared, but there's not much there on the Eclipse side:
>>> * a resource node - represents an addressable resource (e.g. /subsystem=switchyard)
>>> * an attributes node - container for attributes defined by a resource
>>> * an attribute node - an attribute value associated with a resource
>>> * a category node - represents a "child-type" defined by a resource (e.g. subsystem).
>>>
>>> The model is built using read-resource-description, read-children-names and read-resource, depending on the node type.
>>>
>>> For me, I was just looking to make sure I had access to the management interface from within Eclipse so I could add some SwitchYard specific capabilities to the Servers View.  The "baby console" was just a POC demonstrating the possibilities.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Rob