[jboss-as7-dev] manual way to do logging?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Sat Jun 9 10:27:15 EDT 2012

Well, in looking at the way you do things, it is impossible to do manual
logging.  Sigh...

So, at least I thought I could at least remove jboss logging as a binary
dependency yet still use the processor to generate basic string
constants based on included localization property files...

BUT...

There's a small bug (or maybe it is a feature) in that creating the
message string is *ALWAYS* a string concatination if you have a message id:

     public final String jbossLoggingSucks() {
         String result = ((projectCode +"000102: ")+
jbossLoggingSucks$str());
         return result;
     }

When you fix that, let me know.

>> That's the crux really. I always bitch when I have to add a log message with JBoss logging compared to the good old log4j. But I would not meet the requirements.
>>
>> See it positively, it's annoying enough to add a log or throw an exception that I do it less often and my code is even more efficient :D
>> The other annoying bit is when your log interface is in a common module and you work on a dependent module. This requires full recompilation and I am often bitten by this with method not found exceptions.
>
> Yes, same happened often in eclipse plugins - they tend to move the logging message/interfaces into each module and only
> truly shared ones out in common.
>
> It's all a balance act.
>
> /max
>

>> On 8 juin 2012, at 09:44, Max Rydahl Andersen <max.andersen at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> btw. yes, I also think jboss logging is over-engineered for basic usage but
>>> for stuff that needs to be memory efficient and i18n maintainable I don't recall
>>> seeing anything better....

Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat
http://bill.burkecentral.com