[jboss-as7-dev] cant get rid of jetty maven plugin - so lets mavenize JBoss Modules

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 13:17:52 EST 2013

On 2/25/13 7:32 PM, Bill Burke wrote:

> On 2/25/2013 8:07 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> * I'd like to change the JBoss AS distribution to use this new
>>> jboss-modules maven artifact feature.  This requires modifying
>>> module.xml creation as well as creating and distributing a local maven
>>> repository with the jars needed.
>>>

>> This is a pretty big change for our distribution model, particularly for
>> doing things like shipping patches. Sounds interesting as an alternative
>> form of distribution though. It might work fine as the only form of
>> distribution, although I think we'd need to pretty thoroughly vet it
>> before making that move.
>>

> I agree its an idea that needs to be vetted.  But here's what a distro
> would look like:
>
> bin/
> standalone/
> modules/
> jboss-maven-repository/
>
> The interesting thing is that you can have a distro without the
> repository.  Patching would change to adding a new jar to the maven
> repository instead of the modules directory.

Yep. If the maven repo is "owned" by the AS installation, it seems
pretty straightforward. If the repo is not owned (e.g. it's the user's
standard local maven repo) then it's a problem. For example, see the
David Jorm's comments on
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/SingleInstallationPatching about
disabling jars.

There's no law though that says we have to support patching no matter
how a user configures their installation.

> Furthermore, since the modules/ directory wouldn't have any jars you
> move it under the profile's directory:
>
> bin/
> standalone/
>             modules/
> web-profile/
>             modules/
> soa-profile/
>             modules/
> data-profile/
>             modules/

Is this a core part of what you're going for, or just a further path it
might take? This concerns me more than the rest. We don't have
"standalone", "web-profile", "soa-profile" etc. If these are
user-defined structures, then patching them becomes a royal pain. The
patch tool has no clue how the patch relates to the user's installation.
If they are structures defined by us, we'd need one for every
permutation we offer, and that will be a very large set.

Also, it doesn't map well to domain mode, where a domain configuration
covers multiple profiles.