[jboss-as7-dev] cant get rid of jetty maven plugin - so lets mavenize JBoss Modules

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 15:12:14 EST 2013

On 2/26/2013 1:30 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 02/26/2013 12:04 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
>>

>> On 2/25/2013 8:32 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
>>> I said this in a previous email, but it doesn't make much sense to me
>>> why build-time, run-time, and the OS all have their own special way of
>>> distributing and managing java binaries.
>>>

>> This is a win on the OS distribution side as well as you manage JARs
>> similarly to shared-libraries and share these jar binaries between
>> multiple jboss instances that may or may not have uniform jars.  You
>> also interact with them similarly to shared libraries in that you'd have
>> a jboss-modules equivalent to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in which you can set a
>> hierarchy of local and remote repositories....Works seemlessy
>> cross-platform too.
>>
>> Build, runtime, and OS all using the same directory structure to manage
>> jars.
>
> I definitely agree with these goals, but choosing Maven as this unified
> structure locks us in to a few design choices that will make it tough to
> meet certain requirements.

All I'm asking for is to allow a change from a hardcoded path to a
relative one.  It frees you up to do a lot of interesting things and
well, I fail to see how it locks you into any design choice at all.

>  Also, it dodges the question of how to
> manage run time vs. build time dependencies, which is something I also
> think we need a good answer for.

Who said anything about managing dependencies?  Its the ubiquity of the
maven directory structure that is interesting, not the pom.

But anyways I give up, from past experience I know its pointless to
argue with you.  It was worth a shot.  I guess I'll stick to using jetty
for my examples and stupid maven unzip tricks for integration testing.
Don't really care that much, but would have been nice to provide an all
around optimal experience.
--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat