[jboss-as7-dev] cant get rid of jetty maven plugin - so lets mavenize JBoss Modules

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 13:30:19 EST 2013

On 02/26/2013 12:04 PM, Bill Burke wrote:

> On 2/25/2013 8:32 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
>> I said this in a previous email, but it doesn't make much sense to me
>> why build-time, run-time, and the OS all have their own special way of
>> distributing and managing java binaries.
>>

> This is a win on the OS distribution side as well as you manage JARs
> similarly to shared-libraries and share these jar binaries between
> multiple jboss instances that may or may not have uniform jars.  You
> also interact with them similarly to shared libraries in that you'd have
> a jboss-modules equivalent to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in which you can set a
> hierarchy of local and remote repositories....Works seemlessy
> cross-platform too.
>
> Build, runtime, and OS all using the same directory structure to manage
> jars.

I definitely agree with these goals, but choosing Maven as this unified
structure locks us in to a few design choices that will make it tough to
meet certain requirements.  Also, it dodges the question of how to
manage run time vs. build time dependencies, which is something I also
think we need a good answer for.

--
- DML