[jboss-as7-dev] cant get rid of jetty maven plugin - so lets mavenize JBoss Modules

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 16:18:06 EST 2013

On 2/26/13 2:52 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> Bill Burke wrote:

>>> This is a pretty big change for our distribution model, particularly for
>>> doing things like shipping patches. Sounds interesting as an alternative
>>> form of distribution though. It might work fine as the only form of
>>> distribution, although I think we'd need to pretty thoroughly vet it
>>> before making that move.
>>>

>> I agree its an idea that needs to be vetted.  But here's what a distro
>> would look like:
>>
>> bin/
>> standalone/
>> modules/
>> jboss-maven-repository/
>>
>> The interesting thing is that you can have a distro without the
>> repository.  Patching would change to adding a new jar to the maven
>> repository instead of the modules directory.
>>

>> Furthermore, since the modules/ directory wouldn't have any jars you
>> move it under the profile's directory:
>>
>> bin/
>> standalone/
>>              modules/
>> web-profile/
>>              modules/
>> soa-profile/
>>              modules/
>> data-profile/
>>              modules/
>>
>> I said this in a previous email, but it doesn't make much sense to me
>> why build-time, run-time, and the OS all have their own special way of
>> distributing and managing java binaries.
>>

> I think that this is something that is definitely worth investigating.
> It is something that has been talked about before, but nothing that went
> past the hand wavey stage.
>
> I think it does open up some interesting possibilities for patching as
> well. If you zip up all the module.xml files in the AS they come to
> 300k, which means that for a 'patch' you could basically just distribute
> a whole new set of modules, and just have the patch tool download any
> jars that are missing into the local repository. This should mean that
> there is no need to use overlays or any sort of layering mechanism.

That can work if we rework how the patch staging/application process
works. If a patch is a layer, the new module.xml files can be copied to
disk (staged) but are effectively invisible to jboss-modules until the
process is restarted. If we completely replace the files, we'll have to
do the filesystem replacement work after the system is down.

Either way this question is unrelated to the binaries; i.e. whether
patches add a layer or just completely replace the module.xml files, the
binaries can be handled via a repo.