[jboss-as7-dev] cant get rid of jetty maven plugin - so lets mavenize JBoss Modules

Stuart Douglas stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 16:21:58 EST 2013

Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> I think it does open up some interesting possibilities for patching as
>> well. If you zip up all the module.xml files in the AS they come to
>> 300k, which means that for a 'patch' you could basically just distribute
>> a whole new set of modules, and just have the patch tool download any
>> jars that are missing into the local repository. This should mean that
>> there is no need to use overlays or any sort of layering mechanism.
>>

> That can work if we rework how the patch staging/application process
> works. If a patch is a layer, the new module.xml files can be copied to
> disk (staged) but are effectively invisible to jboss-modules until the
> process is restarted. If we completely replace the files, we'll have to
> do the filesystem replacement work after the system is down.
>
> Either way this question is unrelated to the binaries; i.e. whether
> patches add a layer or just completely replace the module.xml files, the
> binaries can be handled via a repo.

I actually mean't that a complete set of module.xml files would just be
unzipped in a separate location in the AS (/modules/versions/eap_6.2.54
or whatever). JBoss modules would still need to know which module root
to point at. The main difference would be that each patch is a complete
set of module.xml files.

Stuart