[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss jBPM] - Re: Reporting Engine Integration

fady.matar do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Dec 7 04:33:55 EST 2007

Apologies for the late reply and thanks for the feedback. I'll highlight things in here pretty quickly.

BAM Vs BI:
The ultimate question of Business Intelligence Vs Business Activity Monitoring narrows down to this differentiation: BAM addresses real-time data while BI addresses historical data. BAM & BI are focusing on two different business problems; BAM is focusing on a quick response to immediate changing condition affecting the work environment while BI focuses on the analysis of historical data   that can help enhancing the future operations. I hope all of us agree on this so that we proceed further with the discussions.

Reporting Framework:
I'm absolutely agnostic to the reporting tool, our selection must make sure that the reporting framework can perform or can be extended to perform the following:
1.Provide an easy for business analysts to design their reports.
2.Provide all business graphs (Pivot tables, clean charts (2D-3D) that can help visualizing trends and differences of values.
3.Provide an approach of easily querying the underlying jBPM database to extract those values.

Reports:
The solution must provide a set of basic reports that are embedded by default. However, we must ensure that the solution provides deployable report-templates into the system. Those report templates must be easily designed and fine-grained at the UI level. (Must be able to decorate / enhance the UI) and should be generated in a number of formats, HTML, CSV, PDF, and Office compatible files.

Dashboards:
the BAM solution is based on dashboards and auto-refreshing AJAX panel components that would auto-update to reflect the real-time data.

The BAM Database
The jBPM database is not optimized for querying and reporting. One alternative would be to create an OLAP-enabled database out of the jBPM database to enable end-users to perform ad hoc analysis of data in multiple dimensions, thereby providing the insight and understanding they need for better decision making. Ideally I would like to use Hibernate to build the BAM queries however I think this must be integrated with the reporting framework, a factor we need to take into account while evaluating the reporting frameworks.

What do you guys say?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4111139#4111139

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4111139