[JBoss-dev] Re: JBossMQ in JBoss5

Andrig T Miller andy.miller at jboss.com
Mon Sep 18 12:16:40 EDT 2006

Okay.  Makes perfect sense.

We should start a discussion on what things customers are doing with
JBossMQ that are barriers to moving to JBoss Messaging.  This is very
important for the messaging project to understand.

Also, we will still need to make sure that any feature enhancements to
JBossMQ are also put into JBoss Messaging.

Thanks.

Andy

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 16:59 +0200, Adrian Brock wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 14:35 +0000, Andrig T Miller wrote:
> > Why is a conversion not an option for some customers?
>
> Because some customers add bits to JBossMQ,
> e.g. writing their own persitence manager or interceptor.
> Admittedly it is not that common, but it happens.
>
> More common is use of the JMX interface/names for
> management/monitoring.
>
> e.g. a common usage is creating a queue/topic "on the fly"
> (not a temporary queue).
>
> JBoss Messaging and MQ are not compatible at this
> level so it requires an investment in retooling
> where it is used.
>
> The important part is that they have time to do
> this with a sufficient notification, without
> being left behind.
>
> Besides, it shows an investment in long term support.
> Telling people "we don't support that anymore,
> look at this shiny new toy instead" isn't always
> what they want to hear. :-)

Andrig (Andy) Miller
VP, Engineering