[JBoss-dev] Re: JBossMQ in JBoss5

Ovidiu Feodorov ovidiu at jboss.org
Mon Sep 18 14:58:34 EDT 2006

Adrian Brock wrote:
> More common is use of the JMX interface/names for
> management/monitoring.
>
> e.g. a common usage is creating a queue/topic "on the fly"
> (not a temporary queue).

The difference is some extra paging parameters that weren't in JBossMQ
because JBossMQ doesn't do the memory paging the same way Messaging does
it. This doesn't seem to me to require a major re-tooling effort.

> The important part is that they have time to do
> this with a sufficient notification, without
> being left behind.

They can install JBossMQ, if they really want it, the same way Messaging
is installed right now, via a script that replaces the provider. At this
point, they'll have to think: do I really want to install an obsolete
provider, or just bite the bullet once and go for an upgrade?

> Besides, it shows an investment in long term support.
> Telling people "we don't support that anymore,
> look at this shiny new toy instead" isn't always
> what they want to hear. :-)

Support is one thing, and bundling is a different thing. See my comment
above.