[jboss-dev] Thread pooling

Bela Ban bela at jboss.org
Thu Jan 4 06:45:00 EST 2007

I can highly recommend the java.util.concurrent classes of JDK 5, I've
been porting from concurrent.jar to them in JGroups for the last weeks,
and I get performance optimizations of roughly 10%. Besides, I expect to
scale much better on multi core machines, this requires some additional
work on my behalf though, like lock striping, use of atomic updates
rather than synchronization etc etc etc.

I can highly recommend Brian Goetz' book "Java Concurrency in Practice"
which discusses the java.util.concurrent lib, but also presents tips and
tricks on concurrent programming best practices in general

Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
> Hi,
> Do we have a JBoss library for thread pooling? Or do we use Doug Lee /
> JDK 5 APIs?
>
> Emmanuel

Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / JBoss Clustering team