[jboss-dev] Thread pooling

Rémy Maucherat remy.maucherat at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 07:17:23 EST 2007

On 1/4/07, Bela Ban <bela at jboss.org> wrote:
> I can highly recommend the java.util.concurrent classes of JDK 5, I've
> been porting from concurrent.jar to them in JGroups for the last weeks,
> and I get performance optimizations of roughly 10%. Besides, I expect to
> scale much better on multi core machines, this requires some additional
> work on my behalf though, like lock striping, use of atomic updates
> rather than synchronization etc etc etc.
>
> I can highly recommend Brian Goetz' book "Java Concurrency in Practice"
> which discusses the java.util.concurrent lib, but also presents tips and
> tricks on concurrent programming best practices in general

The executor impl provided in the JDK is slower than a dumb thread
pool, but is otherwise pretty nice. I have added support for it in the
Tomcat connectors (request processor threads would then come from the
executor), so it would be possible in theory to use a global thread
pool for the appserver.

Rémy