[jboss-dev] Re: Commons-logging upgrade

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at jboss.com
Mon Jan 22 15:44:59 EST 2007

JCL 1.1 no longer fails with LogConfigurationException if
commons-logging.jar is deployed in WEB-INF/lib and the FilteredPackages
thing in the tomcat sar isn't used.  If you add the jar to the
commons-logging.war used in the test and remove
org.apache.commons.logging from FilteredPackages, the test passes.

You can also place JCL 1.0.4 in WEB-INF/lib and the test will pass.

If we don't want to patch JCL, requiring the packaging of
commons-logging in the war is an option.  Either way, I think filtering
the packages is no longer necessary.

JCL doesn't late-bind the Log4j class because when it loads Log4jLogger
(the wrapper class) it wants to get a CNFE if log4j isn't available.
Part of the discovery algorithm.

jboss-development-bounces at lists.jboss.org wrote:
> The point of the testWarCommonsLoggingLog4jOverrides was to
> validate that the commons logging log4j factory does not bind
> its factory at the server class loader level and prevent
> resolution of the war local configuration from being used. If
> the upgraded commons logging is also not working then I guess
> it does need patching as well, but I thought it was supposed
> to work correctly for this scenario.
>
> The patched commons logging is in cvs.forge.jboss.com:/cvsroot/jboss
> under the module apache/commons-logging.
>
> http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/JBoss/apache/commons-logging
>
> Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
>> We upgraded commons-logging in Branch_4_2 to v1.1
>> http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-2823
>>
>> Now I see in the testsuite
>> org.jboss.test.classloader.test.ScopingUnitTestCase failing
>> (testWarCommonsLoggingLog4jOverrides), I believe due to not using a
>> patched commons-logging.
>>
>> I guess we have to patch v1.1 as well, like in here:
>> http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-3128
>>
>> I looked in the repository put I can't find the sources from the
>> previous patch.
>>
>> Where are they?

Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering