[jboss-dev] jboss i18n and localization (l10n)

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 10:30:17 EDT 2007

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>>> huh ? java localization has plural handling:
>>> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/i18n/format/choiceFormat.html
>>
>> But this requires actually writing a little code to handle that.
>> Gettext .po files can handle plurals directly without needing to
>> write any extra code by hand.
>
> okey...that's a nice thing but in the big picture I would say it's a
> minor one.

The problem is, as I mentioned some languages have more forms than just
2 (singular and plural) noun forms, The ChoiceFormat approach would
require either a) application knowledge of the language, which is a
broken abstraction or b) a property lookup for all numbers 1-10 (not
practical).

Perhaps this isn't important for the languages we are targeting. I just
wanted to point out that gettext is actually a well thought out framework.

-Jason

--
Jason T. Greene
Lead, POJO Cache