[jboss-dev] Re: Sep/14th cutoff date for component updates in AS5 Beta3

Bela Ban bela at jboss.com
Sat Sep 8 02:50:33 EDT 2007

Brian Stansberry wrote:
> Can you clarify a bit why moving to 2.6 will never be possible?

Because of the policy of only including dot release upgrade of component
libraries in AS, or has this changed ? So 2.5.1, 2.5.2 and so on
wouldn't be an issue, but 2.6 would. Correct ?

> JBC and ClusterPartition currently call:
>
> Channel.connect(String)
> Channel.getState(Address, long)
> Channel.getState(Address, String, long)
> Is the issue that you're changing the API of the 2 getState calls to
> throw an exception instead of returning boolean?

Yes

> Is that absolutely necessary?

Yes. But remember, this is a new method, we do *not* overload the
existing connect().

> Changes to any other overloaded flavors of connect or getState don't
> matter since we don't call them.
>
> Or is the issue more that the connect+getState stuff will change the
> way connecting and state transfer work so much that 2.6 will never be
> interoperable with 2.5? Kind of the old "AS 4.0.x forever stuck on
> 2.2.7" problem.

Yes exactly. My main beef is that we have something stable (API and
implementation wise) that we can include in AS 5, so why not do it ?

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team