[jboss-dev] Re: Sep/14th cutoff date for component updates in AS5 Beta3

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Sat Sep 8 10:45:26 EDT 2007

I'll respond to your last point first, as it's the "bottom line." Other

My impression when you first asked on this thread yesterday is you'd
decided you really did not want to disrupt your 2.6 roadmap in order to
get it in AS 5, and were seeking buy-in from Dimitris and myself.  Seems
I was mistaken.

If 2.6 can't interoperate with 2.5, we should get 2.6 in AS 5. I'd
thought the change was a difference in an API we weren't using, or that
we could code around if we wanted to upgrade.

Bela Ban wrote:

> Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> Can you clarify a bit why moving to 2.6 will never be possible?
>
> Because of the policy of only including dot release upgrade of component
> libraries in AS, or has this changed ? So 2.5.1, 2.5.2 and so on
> wouldn't be an issue, but 2.6 would. Correct ?

Dimitris, please comment with the official answer. :)

I'd think there'd be no problem upgrading across minor releases if we
went from 5.0.x to 5.1.0, but there would likely be a problem if we went
from 5.0.0 to 5.0.1.

Either way, this points to a larger issue where it's unclear what the
big picture AS roadmap is. Do we want to do a bunch of 5.0.x releases,
or fairly shortly after 5.0.0 go to a 5.1.0?

>> JBC and ClusterPartition currently call:
>>
>> Channel.connect(String)
>> Channel.getState(Address, long)
>> Channel.getState(Address, String, long)
>> Is the issue that you're changing the API of the 2 getState calls to
>> throw an exception instead of returning boolean?
>
> Yes
>
>> Is that absolutely necessary?
>
> Yes. But remember, this is a new method, we do *not* overload the
> existing connect().

Still confused; this and your answer to the above seem to contradict.
But no matter, I'll understand when I look at the API. :) Key thing is
2.5 and 2.6 can't interoperate.

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering