[jboss-dev] Why Maven sucks (part 1)

Rémy Maucherat remy.maucherat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 15:20:49 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Paul Gier <pgier at redhat.com> wrote:
>  Just so it's clear what you are asking for, you want dependencies with
> (-SNAPSHOT) to be replaced with the specific snapshot version
> (-timstamp-build) during deployment?  I could probably add this as an option
> to the deploy plugin, but I don't know if this would solve the problem.

You do sound really fanboyish Paul, I am afraid ... Obviously, with
enough scripting and development efforts, you could turn an Ant script
into a proper dependency management system. However, the point of the
tool is to provide a ready to use solution that fits our needs. Maven
fails badly at that.

Carlo forgot the non existent error reporting (or maybe that's for
part 2). Do you have a solution for that too ?

Personally, I would encourage Ovidiu to send a patch for his
dependency system, and I'd do everything I can [assuming it does
actually work, of course - realistically, as my influence is quite
limited, that wouldn't be much, but it's a start ;) ] to get it
included in AS 5 as a replacement for Maven.

Rémy