[jboss-dev] Why Maven sucks (part 1)

Ovidiu Feodorov ovidiu at feodorov.com
Mon Apr 21 16:08:18 EDT 2008

Thank you, Rémy

The system I am talking about I delegates the build tasks to ant,
feeding it with the appropriate dependency information. In this respect,
your build can be as simple as "ant", no need for maven commands.

In order to implement this, the dependency manager recursively walks the
dependency tree and detects the transitive closure of your project's
dependencies, "flattens" the dependency tree, and in its current
implementation, it just bails out with a loud error message when it
detects a version conflict. It doesn't try to "guess" anything, even
that heuristics can be optionally plugged in (I am personally afraid of
heuristics, they have a habit of yielding unexpected results, so I won't
encourage that)

Here's the manual: http://fragma.sourceforge.net/FragmaUserGuide.pdf

As I said before, my proposal is to use it to configure a small
peripheral project, and if conclusions prove to be positive, decide what
to do from there, in case you guys decide to go this route.

Cheers
Ovidiu