[jboss-dev] Why Maven sucks (part 1)

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 19:22:42 EDT 2008

On 04/21/2008 03:08 PM, Ovidiu Feodorov wrote:

> Thank you, Rémy
>
> The system I am talking about I delegates the build tasks to ant,
> feeding it with the appropriate dependency information. In this respect,
> your build can be as simple as "ant", no need for maven commands.
>
> In order to implement this, the dependency manager recursively walks the
> dependency tree and detects the transitive closure of your project's
> dependencies, "flattens" the dependency tree, and in its current
> implementation, it just bails out with a loud error message when it
> detects a version conflict. It doesn't try to "guess" anything, even
> that heuristics can be optionally plugged in (I am personally afraid of
> heuristics, they have a habit of yielding unexpected results, so I won't
> encourage that)
>
> Here's the manual: http://fragma.sourceforge.net/FragmaUserGuide.pdf
>
> As I said before, my proposal is to use it to configure a small
> peripheral project, and if conclusions prove to be positive, decide what
> to do from there, in case you guys decide to go this route.

I'm willing try this out on Remoting 3 (which is the very definition of a
small peripheral project).  My only requirements are:

1) the build has to work exactly as it does now (it's purely ant at the
moment, and works just fine, though some of the deps are downloaded from
the Maven part of the repository)
2) none of my time required :)  Though I'm willing to answer questions
about the build

http://www.jboss.org/jbossremoting/

- DML