[jboss-dev] transactions change in AS 5.0

Jonathan Halliday jonathan.halliday at redhat.com
Thu Jun 26 08:11:15 EDT 2008

Well I'm all in favour of understanding, but I'm not
actually convinced it makes much difference to the decision.
The technical differences and limitations need to be
understood/documented/resolved anyhow for the EAP. The
question is, does that work occur in the AS 5.0.CR1->GA
space or the AS 5.0.GA->EAP 5.0.GA part.

But to answer the question: each cluster node contains a
transaction manager, which is responsible for coordinating
any transactions started at that node. It may simultaniously
be acting as a subservient node for transactions started
elsewhere and flowed in by e.g. RMI/IIOP requests. The
really hairy bit is the crash recovery, configuration of
which depends on the clustering model e.g. if disk is
shared, if IP addresses migrate to a standby node on
failure, etc.  The testing guys are going to love it :-)

Other significant configuration implications are that you
need an ORB for the JTS, so if we put it in 'default' then
we need to move JacORB into the 'default' config too. And
the way that transaction context is managed with remote
clients will change: the current remote transaction
demarcation and context flow solutions probably won't work
with the JTS. (ClientUserTransaction and the EJB client
stuff for JRMP).

Jonathan.