[jboss-dev] Re: jgroups version names

Bela Ban bela at jboss.com
Tue Mar 4 07:35:10 EST 2008

Okay, well some releases are adhering to this standard... :-)

I didn't care much for this because it is stupid. Relying on strings for
version comparison is terrible, as we have to parse the strings into
component parts (numbers) anyway. Plus we end up with kludges like
changing RC1 to CR1 so alphabetical ordering still works ...

A much better way, and that's what I thought we had adopted, is the
scheme suggested by Scott in
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=77231. This
allows us to use shorts for major, minor and patch versions, and
comparisons become simple.

Note that we don't care about comparisons between 2.6.2.CR1 and
2.6.2.GA, because the scheme suggested by Scott doesn't care about the
qualifier. These 2 versions are both the same the point of the version
number.

Having said that, if this cannot convince you, I can adhere to the
version numbering scheme, that's not an issue for me, as the underlying
version stays the same, it is just the strig that changes

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team