[jboss-dev] AS is hanging at startup

Adrian Brock abrock at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 12:52:08 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 16:20 +0200, Sacha Labourey wrote:
> Damned.... that's a LOT, is this what Adrian is supposed to optimize?

At least find out what is wrong and report it to whoever
is responsible.
Find out what is wrong at least and report it to whoever
is responsible. :-)

hprof sampling (not very accurate but useful for finding
"braindeaths"/hotspots) shows the time spent in;

* vfs ZIP handling (and some other vfs calls such isLeaf())
* aop point cut matching
* annotation scanning
* ClassLoader.defineClass1()

The last one is probably spurious since hprof does
byte code manipulation to add its hooks during class definition
and it would a JDK issue anyway. :-)

It needs more detailed analysis (and better numbers).
To determine where/why these are slow and whether they can
be optimised further.

I did some anaylsis last month which cut the "default"
config bootstrap from 1 minute to 45 seconds on my laptop.

Marko has already done some fixes to the VFS based
on this earlier analysis, but they don't look to
have made a major difference - or maybe it got
slower elsewhere to compensate. :-)

Although this is misleading since the