[jboss-dev] M2 planning and timeline

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Dec 14 07:48:57 EST 2009

Another non trivial thing worth a look for M2 is how the list of JPA providers is handled in JBoss AS.
Basically, each app has a custom list of providers (it depends on what libs are available). In OSGi, it's even worse as these people tend to hot redeploy JPA providers to show that... well they can :)

Today the default implementation of PersistenceProviderResolver caches the list of providers (with a weak key) per classloader. Very likely the AS has the hooks to:
 - know at deployment the list of persistence providers and thus can pre populate the list
 - know when an app is undeployed and thus remove the list from the cache.
 - in case of OSGi apply some more magic.

So JBoss AS needs a custom PersistenceProviderResolver implementation.