[jboss-dev] Remove unused components from trunk

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 12:24:24 EST 2009

On 12/15/2009 09:59 AM, Ales Justin wrote:
>> It was my impression that the use of
>> org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport was discouraged in AS5 in favor of
>> pojos w/JMX annotations.  Are there any plans to officially deprecate
>> ServiceMBeanSupport in AS6 to further encourage the migration of
>> existing mbeans (there are several dozen subclasses) to the more loosely
>> coupled pojo model?
>
> If it's not yet officially deprecated, it should be.
>
> Once I'm done with this:
> *
> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jboss-development/2009-December/015142.html
> I'll have a closer look on what we can/should do with those existing mbeans.
> But it will definitely require a joined effort to be completely off
> mbeans - hence making JMX usage optional as we always promised.

+100 on getting rid of any remaining use by ourselves of
ServiceMBeanSupport. But this class is also a public API for custom end
user services.

I'm not arguing against deprecating it; just pointing out it's not
purely internal. I'm personally OK with deprecating it as long as we
give plenty of notice before actually removing it.

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering