Compatibility Requirements (Was Re: [jboss-dev] AS 5.1 and JBoss Messaging 2)

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 15:00:18 EST 2009

Tim Fox wrote:
> Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> I really wish we could. Tim said theres pretty much no was JBM2 can
>> make Beta1, but it could make CR1. The question is, would it be
>> stable and TCK compliant enough that it doesn't end up delaying GA?
> No, JBM 2.0 is a major release and is not compatible with JBM 1.4.
> That's why we can't replace JBM 1.4 in a minor release since AS minor
> versions need to be compatible, and why it's being offered as a
> technology preview, not replacement for default JMS provider.

Where did this rule come, and what level of compatibility are we talking
about? We do need EE API compatibility, and ideally all of our public
APIs should be BC (so that developers don't have to rewrite their apps),
but IMO we don't need wire protocol compatibility. You already can't
cluster 5.1 and 5.0 together.

The insane levels of compatibility should be reserved for EAP, but 5.1
is the source of an EAP major version, so it doesn't need it.

--
Jason T. Greene