[jboss-dev] JBossWeb as foundation for OSGi HttpService

Adrian Brock abrock at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 09:41:09 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 15:12 +0100, Adrian Brock wrote:
> We already agreed along time ago that JBoss would provide a core
> OSGi implementation/facade on top of the Microntainer/Deployers
> that's where we should be putting our resources.
>
> For the compendium (where it is not duplicated by JBossAS services
> where we can provide a facade) we should work with other open source
> OSGi implementations and share the implementations.

By way of a more concrete example in this case.

If we used the equinox/eclipse compendium there would be no
need to deploy their "httpservice bundle"
which is a very old Tomcat-4.1.29
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.tomcat/

In JBossAS if you asked the OSGi ServiceRegistry for the HTTPService
you would get back our "TomcatService" that implements it
(or maybe some other bean that delegates to it?).

It shouldn't need the service to be actually packaged as an OSGi bundle.
The MC should already know that there is some MC context that implements
that service - like we do with in/uncallbacks.

Like I wrote in the osgi forum itself.
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=131151
you should be able to use anything that JBoss controls as an osgi
service e.g. an ejb via its home or remote interface.
--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock