[jboss-dev] Hack for Continuous Integration in AS

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 14:10:39 EST 2009

On 02/19/2009 01:04 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
> Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
>> Jason T. Greene wrote:
>>> Hmm. The thing I wonder though is how useful this will be if you
>>> start pulling in everyone's snapshots. You will probably end up with
>>> incompatible combinations.
>>
>> We'd have to curtail this by saying "you can put SNAPSHOTs here, but
>> on a limited basis and then take 'em out".
>
> If you pull out the updates then you don't get the "continuous" testing
> I thought you were looking for. Then its really more like a dry-run
> branch, except that it's everyone's dry run at the same time.
>
>> For instance, right now we'd have VFS and some other related stuff in
>> Branch_5_0 only.  When those SNAPSHOTs being tested are released, the
>> snapshot override is removed.
>
> Exactly, and that was a bad idea that has killed any productive use of
> that branch other than testing the VFS.

Yeah, putting unversioned snapshots in *just doesn't work*, *period*.  It's
not a lot of effort to put out a versioned snapshot.

It's this simple: unversioned snapshots = non-reproducable builds

You're talking about buying some small convenience for one developer at the
cost of all the others.

- DML