[jboss-dev] Hack for Continuous Integration in AS

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 14:26:09 EST 2009

David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 02/19/2009 01:04 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
>>>
>>> We'd have to curtail this by saying "you can put SNAPSHOTs here, but
>>> on a limited basis and then take 'em out".
>>
>> If you pull out the updates then you don't get the "continuous"
>> testing I thought you were looking for. Then its really more like a
>> dry-run branch, except that it's everyone's dry run at the same time.
>>> For instance, right now we'd have VFS and some other related stuff in
>>> Branch_5_0 only.  When those SNAPSHOTs being tested are released, the
>>> snapshot override is removed.
>>
>> Exactly, and that was a bad idea that has killed any productive use of
>> that branch other than testing the VFS.
>
> Yeah, putting unversioned snapshots in *just doesn't work*, *period*.
> It's not a lot of effort to put out a versioned snapshot.
>
> It's this simple: unversioned snapshots = non-reproducable builds
>
> You're talking about buying some small convenience for one developer at
> the cost of all the others.

Which is why I specifically said *versioned* SNAPSHOTs only.  No one's
proposing shortcuts out of laziness, but I've got over a day's worth of
testing for each release (which is every 2 weeks), hence my desire to
have some automated process keep me doing dev and not babysitting
builds.  Also there's triage after one of our releases proves invalid.

Maybe I'll try the "dry-run" branch approach on my own Hudson then.  The
sticking point there is that I'll have to manually keep it current by
constantly re-merging from trunk, or ditch-and-recreate for every dry run.

S,
ALR