[jboss-dev] Logging & bootstrap integration branch merged

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Tue Jul 14 17:28:26 EDT 2009

I've merged the branch in which I and ALR updated the logging service and
bootstrap, respectively.  Here's the gist of the logging changes:

- The log4j-boot.jar hack is gone
- The default log implementation is now jboss-logmanager
- Log4jService is gone
- The boot-time log config is slightly different (see
"system/src/resources/logging.properties")
- Run-time log config now uses SchemaResolverDeployer to deploy
jboss-logging.xml (located in deploy/, not conf/, due to the way the new MC
deployer system works; look in deployers/ for more information about how
the POJO log service works)
- All log messages produced by slf4j, jboss-logging, commons-logging,
log4j, and JDK logging are all properly routed through the log system

As things stand, server startup should be slightly faster than it was
before, though jbossxb parsing of jboss-logging.xml actually slows things
down rather more than I expected, and I haven't checked to see if this
offsets the performance gain.  Run-time performance of logging should be
much faster than it was under log4j.

Let the pain & mayhem begin.

- DML