[jboss-dev] Naming over Remoting 3

Ron Sigal ron.sigal at jboss.com
Wed Nov 18 20:42:09 EST 2009

I subject has arisen in JBAS-3151 "Convert HA-JNDI stubs to Remoting"
that Brian has suggested deserves some discussion.  I've started a forum
thread
(http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4266436#4266436),
but here's the teaser:

*"ron" wrote:*

Is there anything wrong with HARMIClient and HARMIServer, other than the
fact that they depend on RMI?
---

*"brian" wrote:*

Not particularly, no. I think the main issues are 1) we want to unify as
much as possible on a single remote invocation mechanism 2) get rid of
myriad sockets opened by different services. I suppose the latter goes
beyond the description of this JIRA as it involve converting
HANamingService to use a Remoting connector instead of directly
listening on port 1101.

*"ron" wrote:*

It looks like there are two kinds of Naming listeners:

1. the "bootstrap" listeners in org.jnp.server.Main and
org.jboss.ha.jndi.HANamingService, and

2. the actual service listeners: org.jnp.server.NamingServer and
org.jboss.ha.framework.server.HARMIServerImpl

So, we'd like to replace them all with handlers on a single Remoting
connector (or, actually, the Remoting 3 version of of handlers and
connectors).

*"brian" wrote:*

The bootstrap listener part probably bears discussion on the jboss-dev
list since it much more directly impacts stuff like end-user
configuration (i.e. jndi.properties or other ways of setting the
properties passed to new InitialContext()). The service listeners are
more straightforward.

Discuss?

-Ron