[jboss-dev] Changing meta data runtime

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 03:23:43 EDT 2009

On 09/17/2009 11:04 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
> Jason T. Greene wrote:
>
>>> But since nothing is really designed to use the MDR in this way, its not
>>> really an issue.
>>> This feature was one of Bill's and Scott's ideas, e.g. being able to
>>> have a default tx timeout at cluster, system, deployment, bean,
>>> method level, but it was never really followed through.
>>> http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=58523
>>> (I know there were earlier threads elsewhere in the forums or
>>> the dev-list - just from Scott's first comment :-)
>>>
>>> I don't know whether Scott (or Bill) still think this is a useful idea,
>>> since the profile service currently uses "ManagedOperations" to
>>> do things like changing cache sizes, etc. at runtime.
>>>
>> Well, I think the unified domain model stuff we are moving to somewhat
>> conflicts with this notion. However, it could
>>
> Sorry, for the truncated sentence. This should read:
>
> However it could still be useful to allow developers to define some
> global base defaults via annotations for the purpose of quick testing.
> However the embedded project might end up offering a better solution to
> this, since you will be able to programmatically define this all via a
> DSL style API.

Been there, done that. :-)

The jboss-metadata project was designed to be the unified domain model.
In the end it can't keep up, because we want to do hybrid models: throw
JPA2 into the mix for example.

The same goes for the DSL style API. Embedded can never keep up with the
different technologies. It would be more sensible to have the DSL style
API come from jboss-jpa project. There already lies the intersection of
JPA & VDF. It's matter of adding an intersection point there with the
Embedded DSL SPI.

Carlo