[jboss-dev] VHosts in AS 6 and naming

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Fri Aug 27 16:41:45 EDT 2010

On 8/27/10 9:10 AM, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In AS 5 (I believe), we added the capability to deploy a webapp to
> multiple vhosts. While nice in practice, this causes the need for a
> hack where one webapp can be deployed multiple times to each specified
> vhost, as well as automagic vhost creation. I've never liked this
> behavior (I think vhost creation should require some administrator
> intervention), and this hack is now causing problems with the new
> naming. It should be possible to drop this feature to a large extent.

I have to agree that vhost configs really should be configured by
admins. When you have auto vhost creation it's hard to differentiate
between an error (type-o in the host) and a legitimate new vhost.

> Instead, what could happen is that the list of specified vhosts would
> now need to either point to one single existing host (any non existing
> vhosts would be added as aliases to that vhost). If nothing exists,
> they would be added as aliases to the default host.
>
> This should actually cover most reasonable use cases.

Sounds more reasonable to me. Although, what was the reason behind the
auto vhost generation? Was it to avoid restarting the server?

--
Jason T. Greene