[jboss-dev] VHosts in AS 6 and naming

Remy Maucherat remy.maucherat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 17:38:13 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Jason T. Greene
<jason.greene at redhat.com> wrote:
> Sounds more reasonable to me. Although, what was the reason behind the
> auto vhost generation? Was it to avoid restarting the server?

Scott added it due to customer demand, I believe, because it was
indeed hard to do anything without restarting at the time (you could
have used JMX possibly, and that was it; now, I think the admin
console should be able to do it). (Maybe it was also to be able to
deploy a webapp to all vhosts, but it's less likely)

So a trimmed down feature (focusing only on aliases) could be enough for AS 6.
AS 7 has host (ahem, virtual-server) configuration in the domain
model, which should be fully dynamic.

Rémy