[jboss-dev] Planning to revert

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Feb 2 12:06:52 EST 2010

Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
> On 02/02/2010 11:55 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>>> Whatever...forgetting an import into repository is WAY different then a
>>> working copy breaking because of how poorly snapshots are used...
>> It way my understanding that snapshots were forbidden in AS trunk.  Has
>> something changed?
>
> Snapshot dependencies on other modules.  So when you come back the next
> day and build, is downloads from the snaps repo the other modules, and
> stuff is out of sync.
>
> It's a Maven default; I've taken Pete's suggestion (and Paul has talked
> about this) to set my update policy to "never" and instead only update
> SNAPSHOTs on an as-needed basis by manually passing in "-U".  Also
> speeds up my builds as I don't end up checking repos.

To clarify, SNAPSHOTS *are* forbidden

The problem is the way maven handles modules is broken (surprise):
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4326

However, what I am not sure about, is whether the downloaded snapshots
take precedence in the classpath over the modules.

Paul, should this problem be anything more than gratuitous downloading?

--
Jason T. Greene