[jboss-dev] Renaming server/web to server/jbossweb-standalone

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 12:11:50 EST 2010

On 02/11/2010 12:45 PM, Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
> On a different thread I came to similar conclusions. We have
>
> a) the APIs/capabilities/services (what)
> b) their configuration or QoS characteristics (in what context)
>
> For (a) we could have
>
> 'web' - ee web profile
> 'full' - ee full profile
> 'osgi' - an empty mc/osgi kernel
> 'tomchat' - standalone jbossweb
>
> For (b) modes like
>
> a) development, single-node,on-demand, unsecured, non-optimized
> b) development-ha, multi-node, on-demand, unsecured, non-optimized
> c) production, single-node,eager-loading, secured, optimized
> d) production-lb, multi-node, eager-loading, secured, optimized,
> load-balanced
> e) production-ha, multi-node, eager-loading, secured, optimized,
> load-balanced, replicated

What's your thinking behind the difference between d) and e) ? That d)
would include the non-HA variant of mod_cluster but none of the other
clustering capabilities?

For Java clients, the load balancing behavior of cluster-aware proxies
can be independent of the HA aspect, but a JGroups channel is still
required. The distributed caches used for replication only start if a
bean is actually configured for replication, and if that's what you want
it's possible to annotate an EJB3 SFSB such that it gets a cluster-aware
proxy but a non-replicated cache. So for remote EJB3 use cases I don't
know how much real world demand there would be for a d) variant.

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering